• Text Size:  A   A   A | 
  • Follow us on:
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
  • YouTube
  • RSS Feed | 

OHA Designated Properties

 

Address

Description

By-law

1   

630 Bayshore Boulevard

The “Big House” was the first permanent home built in the Brighton Beach Survey, developed by W. D. Flatt as a summer vacation area.

3-1994

2   

2021 Blairholm Avenue

The solid brick, two-and-a-half storey Georgian Style structure is one of the oldest houses in downtown Burlington. From 1858 to 1898 it was the home of Nelson Ogg, a cooper and farmer, and his family. One of Nelson Ogg’s sons served on council for many years and another was commissioner of the fire department from 1894.

28-2000

3   

5515 Blind Line

“The Joseph Colling Centennial Farmhouse”

 

The vernacular style one-and-a-half storey brick farmhouse was built circa 1880 for Joseph Colling Jr. The front section of the house has an offset projecting front-gabled wing with a bay window and an arched window at the second level.  The side wing has a centre gable with an arched window.  The rear wing has two gables at the side, both with arched windows.  The verandas at the front and side have shed roofs supported by turned wood columns.

 

The Colling family were very successful farmers and provided land for the construction of the Methodist Church and Manse, also designated features. 

131-2000

4   

5615 Blind Line

"The Emerson Colling Centennial Farmhouse"

 

Emerson's house  is a composite structure: the original one-storey log house was built in 1932, probably on the original Colling property.

98-2000

5   

415 Burlington Avenue

"The George and Josephine Noyes House"

 

This two-storey front gabled frame structure was built circa 1895 by A. B. Coleman, on a lot severed from the original Bunton family property.

35-2001

6   

479 Burlington Avenue

"The Allen McIlwain House"

 

Built circa 1914 by Robert John Allen.  Details such as rug brick, cedar shingles, exposed rafter tails under the eaves, and replicated craftsman style windows restore the original character of the house.

4-1994

7   

526 Burlington Avenue

"Red Ash:  The Wheeler-Freeman House”

 

Built circa 1913 by Charles Klainka, who had been a foreman at Nicholson’s Planing Mills.  This frame house clad in cedar shingles and crosscut clapboard siding is a good example of a modest craftsman style bungalow.

5-1994

8   

534 Burlington Avenue

This craftsman-style villa was build circa 1910 for James Harrison, the owner of Burlington's Planning Mill and Lumber Yard.

 

The stone first storey, stuccoed gables, and the high-pitched roof with tall stone chimneys, and the Queenston block limestone, unusual in this area, are examples of the first quality materials and craftsmanship evident throughout.

115-1992

 

9   

100 Burloak (aka 5527 Lakeshore Rd.)

“The Pig and Whistle Inn”

 

Built in 1929 by Hughes Cleaver in partnership with English Inns Ltd., "The Pig and Whistle Inn" is an historical landmark structure on the Lakeshore Road at the eastern gateway to Burlington.  The Pig and Whistle was built in the English Tudor Revival Style, with a post-and-beam roof structure.

58-2000

10    

1435 Caroline Street

Built in 1877 on farmland owned by H. H. Hurd.  The home retains many of its original features, gingerbread trim, doors and windows, shiplap siding. This excellent example of a mid Victorian frame farmhouse provides a valuable reminder of Burlington's farming origins.

136-1993

11    

955 Century Drive

“Van Norman House”

 

The house was built by William Van Norman in 1848 and represents the tradition of his father, Isaac Van Norman, a late loyalist emigrant from the Pennsylvania area following the American Revolution.

7-1986

12    

3318 Dundas Street

“St. Paul’s Presbyterian Church and Cemetery”

 

St. Paul’s, one of the oldest Presbyterian congregations in Ontario, began in 1816 with services conducted in the barn of Hugh McLaren and the house of Gilbert Bastedo, who in 1822 gave part of his land for the construction of a frame church.  The pioneer cemetery dates from 1817.

82-1996

13    

2040 Emerald Crescent

"The Betty Taylor House"

 

Built circa 1938, the house is one of only two residences in Burlington designed in the international modernist Art Deco Style. Art Deco elements include the recessing of the paired windows, enhanced by the multiple-level recessing of the front entrance, and the curved corner with grouped small sash windows.

133-2000

14    

524 Emerald Street

"The Oreland McIntyre House"

 

This Neo-Georgian Style house, built in 1937, is a component part of Hughes Cleaver’s development plan for the Emerald Crescent district

83-1995

15    

2059  Ghent Avenue

"The West House"

 

Built in 1921.  The high-pitch end-gabled roof is broken by a large gabled dormer. The decorative exposed rafter tails were individually cut by hand. The side gables, the front dormer gable, and a band under the eaves of the front elevation are all clad with wooden shingles.

117-2001

16    

2477 Glenwood School Drive

“Locust Lodge”

 

Built circa 1838 by James Willson, Locust Lodge is one of the oldest farm houses in Burlington.

 

Constructed of local limestone, the parging in an ashlar pattern of its coursed rubble walls is a distinguishing feature which indicates the unusual prosperity of the farm's early owners. The symmetrical three-bay Georgian front facade is virtually intact.

85-1993

17    

2168 Guelph Line

“Ireland House at Oakridge Farm”

 

Historically, one of the oldest homes in present day Burlington “Oakridge” was built during the period of great stone construction in the City of Burlington (1830-1850) for Joseph Ireland.  The house is composed of fieldstone, with the surface smoothed over to give the building a mortar like effect.  The classical revival six-panelled doorway is flanked on either side by sidelight transom and windows or evenly spaced proportions adding a Georgian influence to the building.  The entire structure is an excellent example of Canadian vernacular architecture. 

9-1978

18    

4065 Guelph Line

This home is a good example of Gothic Vernacular farm house construction and is one of very few remaining in the City. The thick coursed rubble construction with uniform pointing, topped by a centre gable roof, decorated by geometric bargeboard at its peaks is typical of farm houses built in that era.

137-1993

19    

5772 Guelph Line

"The John Readhead House"

 

Built between 1890 and 1900 for John Readhead, the owner of a sawmill in Lowville.

 

This large cross-gabled brick structure in late Victorian vernacular style has decorative “gingerbread” bargeboards in the front and side gables. The original windows have been preserved.

8-1995

20    

5800 Guelph Line

“Lowville United Church”

 

Windows are pointed-arch, lancet, gothic, and crowned by a corbelled "eyebrow" detail, which forms a teardrop truncating in limestone skewbacks. The simple eaves are terminated in a corbelled dentil pattern.

31-1984

21    

6006 Guelph Line

"The Parsonage"

 

This property known as "The Parsonage" was erected in 1883 for the Lowville/Zimmerman Charge.  The building is a fine example of mid-Victorian architecture.

5-1990

22    

6042 Guelph Line

"The Thomas Colling House"

 

Built in 1872 for Thomas Colling, one of the sons of Joseph Colling, who had immigrated to Lowville in 1819.

Large brick house with many gables has arched windows with teardrop tracery that are almost unique in Burlington. The front entrance with transom, sidelights, and original panelled door, is recessed with wood panelling that is repeated in the interior.

8-1995

 

120-2000 (Repeal portion of By-law)

23    

6103 Guelph Line

The Thomas Pickett Octagonal House”

 

Built for the Pickett family in 1860, the property is located on the east side of Guelph Line, north of Britannia Road and is within the Lowville Settlement Area.  The landscape is rural and has sweeping views of Rattlesnake Point and Lowville Park.  The property supports a one-storey, stucco-clad rubble stone and gravel wall farmhouse built in the shape of an octagon in accordance with the principles of O.S. Fowler’s “Home for All: or Gravel Wall and Octagonal Mode of Building – A New, Cheap, Convenient and Superior Mode of Building ” (published 1848).  A 1970’s-era addition to the octagonal dwelling was removed in 2007/08 restoring the dwelling to its original footprint.  Several significant design elements remain. 

120-2008

24    

6207 Guelph Line (Lowville School)

“Limestone Valley School”

 

The Lowville School, also known as Limestone Valley School, was built in 1889 on land donated from the farm of Joseph Featherstone

The woodshed at the end gable is part of the original structure. The separate boys' and girls' entrances are located, unusually, not at the ends but on the four-bay sides. The windows retain their six-over-six panes and some of the original shutters.

134-1992

25    

6247 Guelph Line

“The Lowville Mill”

 

The Mill, built of local limestone in 1837 from "Squire" James Cleaver.

116-1992

26    

0000 Indian Road

“Indian Point Gates and Streetlamps”

 

The gates were designed and built in 1929 by a Mr. Cuttriss. The stonemason had been sent by the developer W.D. Flatt to Casa Loma in Toronto to study stone-masonry techniques there. The Craftsman-Style stonework combines fieldstones of variable colour, size and shape, with a raised mortar.

72-1996

27    

4210 Inglewood Drive

Built in 1925 (and added to circa 1961) as the first house within the Inglewood Survey. The structure is a split-level, stucco clad, five-bay bungalow built in the Picturesque style.

 

The cultural heritage value of the subject property lies in its historical, architectural and contextual value. Heritage attributes include but are not limited to: the stepped landscape with stonework; the scale and siting of the building; design elements of the south, west and north elevations (with the exception of the circa 1961 addition); and hipped-gable roof.

4-2008

28    

736 King Road

"The Crown Farm" - "The King House"

 

The house was built in two stages. What is now the kitchen wing at the rear was a frame structure built in 1825, the front part of the house, added in the 1840s.

105-2001

29    

Lakehurst Villa Knee Wall

The Lakehurst Villa Knee Wall was built circa 1910 for W. D. Flatt as part of the Lakehurst Villa estate, located within the Roseland community.  The wall was slightly modified in the 1990’s, following demolition of the Lakehurst Villa when several new homes were constructed south of the wall and new openings were created to facilitate access to these homes.

 

The structure is a fieldstone and mortar knee wall, extending approximately 120 metres from east to west along the frontages of 3064, 3072, 3080, and 3088 Lakeshore Road.  The wall measures approximately 1 metre in height.   

32-2008

30    

1094 Lakeshore Road

"The Pumphouse"

 

Built in 1909 by E. Williamson.   The exterior walls are of solid brick with pilasters either side of round arched windows and doors. The pattered arches extend in a band course around the building and the walls are crowned with a simple deep wood fascia with crown mold. Two brick chimneys with corbelled caps rise above the hip roof.

10-1992

31    

2222 Lakeshore Road, Units No. 17 and No. 18

"Chestnut Villa"

 

Built c. 1855 Elizabeth and Philo Bate (Lake Captain). Victorian improvements to bay windows, front gable with gingerbread trim and vestibule have been made, while preserving the Georgian proportions and windows of the east and west elevations.  

16-1992

32    

2349 Lakeshore Road

"The Benjamin Johnson House"

 

Built in 1881 for Benjamin Johnson and his wife Hannah in a vernacular farmhouse style.  The cross-gabled brick structure with a T-plan and a large kitchen wing at the rear is nearly symmetrical, but oriented towards Green Street. The corners have relieved brick quoins, not often seen on heritage homes in Burlington. The arched windows are original.

8-1995

33    

2358 Lakeshore Road

Built in 1905/1907 by W. D. Flatt as a summer home.  The exterior clapboard treatment, trim, and windows, and many interior features have been authentically preserved. The cottage is an outstanding early example of Burlington's early years as a summer community and its subsequent development.

138-1993

34    

2411 Lakeshore Road

"The Thomas Hiram Alton House"

 

Originally owned by the Thomas Hiram Alton family.  The building is one of two such ornate and well preserved Queen Anne style homes in Burlington. The facade is exceptional with the gabled porch with its dentil and dowel cornice, ornate sun motif, columns and balustrade with turned members.

8-1995

35    

3077 Lakeshore Road

"The House Bungalow"

 

The home was built in 1910 in W.D. Flatt’s Pine Cove Survey for Robert Morley House.   This home is an outstanding example of a Craftsman Style bungalow, with stucco, natural uncut fieldstone and cedar shingled construction, in almost original condition. Fieldstone chimneys are also original, along with the full width front porch decorated with exposed rafter tails.

8-1995

36    

3083 Lakeshore Road

“The Seaton House”

 

Built circa 1910, the Seaton Bungalow embodies key principles of the Garden Cities and Arts and Crafts movements: namely, the emphasis on open space; the use of natural and highly textured materials; and a detailed attention to form, light, views and beauty.  The property is significant based on its association with W.D. Flatt and William Walsh.

 

61-2008

37    

4250 & 4252 Lakeshore Road

"Shoreacres Estate"

 

Built in 1930 for Edythe MacKay, the daughter and heir of Cyrus Birge, who was a director of the Canadian Steel Company (now Stelco).

 

Constructed of local limestone, the mansion has formal design elements. Classical influence is seen in the Tuscan columns on the east and south elevations and the scroll pediment above the west entrance. Classical features combine with aspects of avant-garde 1930s design in the asymmetry of four elevations, each with a distinct character.

98-2000

38    

447 – 449 Locust Street

Built in 1867 for Norman Hamburgh, a labourer, and his wife Sarah, and their family.

 

This is a rare example of an historic semi-detached residence, and one of the few extant pre-Confederation structures in downtown Burlington. The house retains its original windows, doors, wood trim, storm door, and the original gallery verandah supported by squared columns with decorative relief details.

40-1998

39    

464 Locust Street

The original brick residence was probably built by Richard Cole around 1896 on 2/5 of an acre of land purchased from the McCay family.

 

The house is one of Burlington's early brick structures from the Victorian era of architecture. The architectural "fabric" of the facade maintains a consistent street elevation with earlier structures on Locust Street.

60-1985

40    

2083 Maria Street

"The Old Metcalfe House"

 

John Metcalfe built “The Old Metcalfe House” in 1885. The home is a good example of a modest but substantial and comfortable Vernacular style dwelling. This one-and-a-half storey front gabled red brick house has a simple bay window and unadorned arched windows of pleasant proportions on the front facade.

114-1992

41    

398 Mountain Brow Road East

“Woodhill”

 

Built crica 1833 “Woodhill” is situated on the edge of the Niagara Escarpment, located east of Waterdown Road.  The landscape is rural and has sweeping views of the Burlington Bay/Hamilton Harbour. The property is particularly significant for its association with Adam Fergusson, advocate, statesman and agriculturalist and its association with his son, Adam Johnson Fergusson Blair, advocate and statesman. 

 

The structure is a relatively unadorned and simple one and one-half storey, gable-roofed stone building to which two separate 19th century additions were subsequently constructed.  The design of the residence was principled on simple Scottish masonry.  The foundation and walls are of stone construction with an interior finishing of plaster and exterior rendering (painted stucco).  Woodhill is thought to have been built in three stages progressing from the southernmost mass northward.  Rough hewn heavy timber joists, a wide plank subfloor and stone cistern remain in the basement.

 

44-2009

42    

445 Nelson Avenue

"The Waldie - McCoy-Evans House"

 

Built in 1886 for George Chisholm, this was for many years a summer house, part of the early “summer resort” aspect of Old Burlington

 

The one-and-a-half storey end-gabled structure is built in a traditional vernacular style that is characteristic of an earlier period: it has a three-bay front elevation and a centre gable above an arched window.

92-1996

43    

447 Nelson Avenue

"The Thomas Dunbar House"

 

Built circa 1894 by Charles Coleman with his brothers A. B. and James, who were then the Village of Burlington’s major builders.

 

The two-level front verandah, open at ground level but now enclosed at the second level, has decorative carpentry work. The front gable is embellished with the original fish-scale shingles, defined by a lower band with relief rosettes, and bargeboard gable trim of lace-edged cutout wood.

98-2000

44    

455 Nelson Avenue

Built c.1892 for Charles Chisholm, this modest dwelling is a good example, in excellent condition, of the Victorian summer cottage prevalent in the community at that time.

 

It retains most of its original features, which include the shiplap wood siding on the lower portion, the windows and trim, the doors and the delicate "gingerbread" bargeboard.

136-1992

45    

470 Nelson Avenue

Mr. Charles Findley Coleman purchased the property in 1890 and a building was subsequently erected. Mr. Coleman was a house and sign painter, paperhanger, decorator, grainer and florist. In 1918, he became Mayor of Burlington.

1-1982

46    

479 Nelson Avenue

Built in 1887 by Mr. A.B. Coleman the builder of many homes in the area as well as the large, brick Brant Hotel.

46-1982

47    

2270 No. 8 Side Road

"The Harris Homestead"

 

Built in 1840 by brothers James and John Harris as a one-and-a-half storey end-gabled frame structure. A saltbox-style rear addition was built circa 1860.

92-2001

48    

50 North Shore Boulevard West

“LaSalle Park Pavilion”

 

The Pavilion, built on March 24, 1917, was a combination dancing pavilion and picnic area which is a rarity for Hamilton park structures.

The main architectural features are its rectangular dimensions with a verandah set between two arcaded pavilions (one open and one which was formerly glazed and is now closed) which are decorated with pilasters.

95-1989

49    

2084 Old Lakeshore Road

“The Estaminet”

 

Constructed prior to 1870 in the Georgian style, the Estaminet building is a 3-bay frame structure with a truncated hipped roof, simple lines and minimal adornment reflective of the Georgian period in Canada (1820-1850). Over the decades the building has been enlarged to accommodate an expanding service commercial use.  Period details including the porch, wooden eaves, and proportion of the openings (including the central entry with demi-sidelights and transom) remain.

93-2009

50    

1436 Ontario Street

“Middleton House”

 

The original house was built in 1888 by the "master builder" James Bent for his client, Charles Blathwayte; one of Burlington's major commercial businessmen of the time.

 

1436 Ontario Street can be described as a "Carpenter Gothic" style of architecture from the picturesque period of Victorian Vernacular architecture of Burlington. It features ornate mouldings, cornices and a finely detailed parapet.

85-1984

51    

1442 Ontario Street

An English carpenter-designer known as James Bent constructed the building as a parsonage in 1888.

 

The building is of wood frame construction. Unique features include a coved curved enclosed glassed-in porch and handmade and carved ornamentation for the windows, mouldings, soffits, gables and cornices as well as unusual decorative roof supporting braces.

9-1988

52    

1457 Ontario Street

"The Miller-Bush House"

 

Built c.1875 for Robert Miller, former Reeve of Nelson Township and newly appointed Collector of Customs for the Port of Wellington Square.

 

This house is one of the oldest extant brick residences in the former Village of Burlington.

84-1995

53    

491 Pearl Street

Built in 1872 for Robert Hammond, a carpenter.

 

This is a good representative example of a wood frame house built in the vernacular Gothic revival style. The end gables and small central front gable are decorated with fine "gingerbread" bargeboards, and the house retains most of its original doors, windows, shutters, and trim.

135-1992

54    

0000 Plains Road East (aka 1001 Plains Rd East)

"The Union Burying Grounds"

 

Established in 1848 on a portion of the Asahel Davis farm, the Union Burying Grounds was founded by ten pioneer families who were members of the Methodist Union. The families holding plots here were major contributors to the early growth, prosperity, and well-being of Nelson and the Village of Wellington Square: Baxter, Crosby, Cummins, Davis, Fisher, Gage, Galloway, Ghent, Kerns and Pearl. Almost 150 years later, the descendants of its founders continue to manage and maintain this historic burial place.

 

Jabez Bent, who had been building brick houses in this area from 1850, built the fine brick wall in 1888. The wrought iron gates and name plaque also date from 1888. The grave markers are invaluable historic records and merit expert conservation and preservation.

85-1995

55    

299 Plains Road West

“The Wakeford House”

 

Commissioned by George and Adeline Wakeford, the Wakeford House was by built in 1923 in the Colonial Revival style and remains a fine example of a two-storey foursquare, hipped roof dwelling.

 

The building that was continuously occupied by members of the Wakeford family until 1996.

 

The Wakeford House derives much of its contextual value from its deep setback from Plains Road.  This setback speaks to the agricultural roots of this section of Plains Road.  The property derives further contextual significance from its inclusion within the West Plains Neighbourhood Plan Area (Mills Survey, 1918).  The Plan Area supports one of the highest remaining concentrations of cultural heritage resources within the Aldershot community.

120-2006

56    

313 Plains Road West

“The Albert Unsworth House”

 

Built circa 1882, the Albert Unsworth Farmhouse is a fine example of a 1.5 storey vernacular farmhouse constructed on a stone foundation.

The red brick building has been clad with at least two coasts of roughcast stucco (white).

 

The farmhouse derives much of its contexual value from its deep setback from Plains Road: this setback speaks directly to the property's agricultural roots.

 

Contextual value is also derived from the property's inclusion within the West Plains Neighbourhood Plan Area (original Mills Survey, 1918), which supports one of the highest remaining concentrations of cultural heritage resources within the Aldershot community.

 

The Unsworth Family has been pre-eminent within the Aldershot community for over 160 years and the family's horticultural reputation is nationally recognized.

 

It is likely that this building pre-dates Confederation and is therefore the oldest remaining residential dwellings on Plains Road West (with the possible exception of the relocated Toll House on Unsworth Avenue).

121-2006

57    

680 Plains Rd. W.

"The Hendrie Gates"

 

In 1931, to celebrate the centenary the Hendrie family of Glasco, Scotland, commissioned Frederick John Flatman "to design and build a magnificent set of wrought iron gates, to be used in constructing an entrance marker to Hendrie Park".

 

The gates are embellished symbols appropriate to our New World setting: a sheaf of Durham wheat, a cluster of Ontario grapes, and a horseshoe. Flatman’s craftsmanship is distinguished in his wrought iron work.

119-1991

58    

1222 Richmond Road

"The Collinson-Babcock House"

 

This vernacular-style brick farmhouse was built in 1874 for Joseph Collinson.

 

The house has been re-oriented so that the north side elevation, with its centre gable with decorative ‘gingerbread’ bargeboard above an arched window, is now the front elevation on Richmond Road. This well-preserved house is a landmark reminder of the architectural heritage of a century of prosperous farming along Maple Avenue.

86-1995

59    

310 Seneca Avenue

"The George Murison House"

 

Built in the 1870s, possesses cultural heritage value as an excellent example of that era’s Burlington/Victorian vernacular farmhouse.

113-2004

60    

3215 Settlement Court

 

(Formerly 4083 Thomas Alton Boulevard and 4059 Dundas Street)

Thomas Alton Homestead 

 

Built circa 1860, the homestead is an excellent example of a 1.5 storey, 3-bay Ontario vernacular farmhouse with both Regency and Gothic elements (modified L-plan).

 

The red Flemish bond brick building, with brick voussoirs and stone sills, has a low-pitched roof with a centre gable and slightly projecting eaves.

 

The farmhouse derives its historical value through its association with the 19th centruy agricultural development and settlement of Nelson Township and through its association with several prominent settle families, including the Altons, Cleavers and Atkinsons.

 

The family of Joseph and Hannah Alton lived in the homestead continuously from the mid-1850's and their descendents occupied the hosue into the 20th century.

9-2007

(Amended by 13-2008)

61    

282 St. Paul Street

“Maple Lodge”

 

Built in 1886 by George Blair for Fred Ghent who was the great-grandson of the earliest settlers of Brant’s Block.

Maple Lodge has an unusually inventive play of design features which include the pedimented gables with unique Celtic-style strap work trim in relief on the barge boards and the bulls-eye window in the offset front gable.

108-1998

62    

496 Walker’s Line

This house was built c.1913 by John Henry Walker Jr. and his wife Beatrice.

 

The house and barn are indicative of the farming origins of the area, while the house is a representative example of the Edwardian classical style. The contrasting stone accents, veranda with original railing, voussoir brick and eared window mouldings further typify Edwardian Classicism.

137-1992

63    

5781 Walker’s Line

“The Annie and Christopher Richardson Farm”

 

The property supports a one and one-half storey red brick clad farmhouse built in a bungalow style there is also a drive shed, a timber frame bank barn with concrete silo, modern metal clad barn, and small windmill on the property.  The bungalow, circa 1910, is believed to have been built atop and around an earlier wood clad Ontario vernacular farmhouse. 

 

Built in 1907, the unpainted timber frame barn, with fieldstone foundation and gambrel roof, is an excellent, intact example of an early 20th-century bank barn.  In the absence of a hill, an earthen ramp was created to permit access to each of the barn’s two levels from the ground.  Typical to traditional bank barn construction, the Richardson barn was built with its long side parallel to, and on the south side of, the man-made bank.  This orientation creates a sheltered south facing barnyard for livestock.  A later concrete silo is also located along the barn’s southerly elevation.

45-2009

[Top] [Printer-Friendly Page]