• Text Size:  A   A   A | 
  • Follow us on:
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
  • YouTube
  • RSS Feed | 

Kitchen Fire Safety

Fighting a Kitchen Fire:

Grease Fire:

Do not throw water on it!  If a pan of food catches fire, smother the flames by sliding a lid over the fire.  Don't use an extinguisher with a grease fire, this can spread the burning grease and spread the fire.  Call your local Fire Department.  All fires should be reported to your local Fire Department, even if you think that you have put the fire out.

Oven / Microwave Fire:

Turn the appliace off and keep the oven door closed.  Do not use your appliance again until it has been serviced.

Kitchen Fire Safety Tips:

  • Never leave the kitchen while food is cooking on the stove.
  • Don't cook if you are feeling sleepy, if you have been drinking alcohol excessively or if you have take medication that makes you drowsy.

Keep Your Kitchen Neat & Clean:

  • Keep pot holders, food packaging, cookbooks and other combustibles off your stovetop.
  • Wipe up spills and clean your oven.  Built up grease can catch fire and spread quickly.
  • Turn pot handles in so you don't accidentally bump into them and cause injury to yourself or create a fire situation.

Electrical Appliances:

  • Use only one heat producing appliance on the same electrical curcuit at a time.  Overloading an electrical outlet is a common fire safety issue that can easily be avoided.
  • It is recommended to have ground-fault circuit-interruptes (GFCI) installed on all kitchen counter outlets.
  • Do not use an appliance that has a cracked or frayed electrical cord. 
  • If you notice an electrical cord or appliance feels too hot, smokes or gives off a burning odor, unplug it immediately.  Do not use this appliance again until it serviced or replaced. 

For more information on fire safety, please contact Fire Prevention at (905) 637-9536.

[Top] [Printer-Friendly Page]