Preparing for your Presentation
Here are some helpful tips
- Prepare yourself in advance of the presentation by making notes or writing out the text of your presentation. Written material will help you to keep focused and ensure that you stay within the allotted time for the presentation. In addition, it helps the Committee when they have the details of your concern in writing. Your written material presented at the meeting may also become part of the official public record. If you make the written presentation available to the Clerks Department, they may copy and distribute the material in advance of the meeting.
- If you are appearing on behalf of a larger group such as a neighbourhood group, let the clerk know that you will be speaking on behalf of the group as their spokesperson. Larger groups are encouraged to select a spokesperson to make their presentation.
- The delegation portion of the agenda is dealt with at the beginning of the meeting. The Committee Chair (or Mayor at Council) will call out your name and identify the subject matter which you will be addressing. At that time, proceed to the podium in the Council Chambers (the podium is located on the left side of the horseshoe table). Please address your remarks to the Chair and Members of the Committee (or if you are at Council to the Mayor and Members of Council. After your complete your presentation, remain at the podium and the Chair (or the Mayor at Council) will ask Members of Council if they have any questions for you.
- Once all questions have been asked, the Chair (or Mayor at Council) will thank you for your presentation and you can return to your seat in the gallery. Following questions, Committee will not entertain any more comments from the delegation.
- Once all delegations have been heard, the Chair will place the item(s) of business before the committee for consideration. Committee members will have the opportunity to discuss and /or debate the matter and formulate a recommendation, which will be forwarded to Council for approval.
- In the event you wish to appear before Council as a delegation, you should present new information only. All seven Council members are members of the standing committees. They will have heard the delegation at Committee and will be interested in hearing only new information. If your issue is a matter currently in the Council agenda, you may register as a delegation up to 12:00 noon the day of the Council meeting. Please provide the Clerk with a written copy of your delegation
Disclaimer: Please note that submission of a delegation form does not guarantee the approval of your request for a delegation. In addition, all information submitted will be considered to be public information and therefore subject to full disclosure, under the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act..