Marriage Licence

Application and Fee

  • Couples wishing to be married in Ontario must complete a marriage licence application form, signed by both parties to the marriage.
  • The application form must be submitted in person by the Applicant and/or Joint Applicant with the appropriate and original identification (listed below), to the Service Burlington Counter at Burlington City Hall, 426 Brant Street.
  • A licence fee of $145.00 is payable at the time of application processing. Payment can be made by cash, VISA, Mastercard or debit card (cheques will not be accepted).


Two pieces of original identification are required for both the applicants, one of which must be photo identification. Photo copies will not be accepted.


  • Birth Certificate, or
  • Change of Name Certificate, or
  • Record of Immigrant Landing, or
  • Canadian Citizenship Card, or
  • Current Passport


  • A valid Drivers Licence, or
  • Photo Health Card

Provided that all the information is correct and appropriate identification has been provided the licence will be issued on the same day, and is valid anywhere in Ontario for a period of 90 days from the date of issuance.

Marriage Ceremony

It is your responsibility to arrange the marriage ceremony of your choice. Wedding ceremonies are not performed at Burlington City Hall.


No person under 16 years of age may be married. Any applicant who is 16 or 17 years of age, with the exception of a widow, widower or divorcee, is required to have both parents or guardian fill out a form at the Clerks Department at the time of applying for the marriage licence giving their written consent. If any person whose consent is required is not available or refuses to give consent, application may be made to a Judge for an Order dispensing with consent. (Please contact the Clerks Department for additional information).

Blood Test

Blood tests or medical certificates are not required in Ontario.

Residency and Citizenship

There are no residency or citizenship requirements.

Canadian Divorce

If either party's previous marriage has been dissolved or annulled in Canada, the original copy or a certified copy of the Decree Absolute or Certificate of Divorce must be submitted to the Issuer of Marriage Licences. A Divorce Judgment or Decree Nisi is not acceptable. Certified copies can be obtained from the court, which granted the divorce. Photocopies are not accepted.

Foreign Divorce

If either party's previous marriage has been dissolved or annulled outside Canada, authorization from the Registrar General's Office is required before a marriage licence may be issued. To obtain this authorization, the applicants, or a lawyer representing them, must submit the following to: The Office of the Registrar General, P.O. Box 4600, 189 Red River Road, Thunder Bay, ON, P7B 6L8

  • A completed marriage application form, signed by both applicant
  • A certified copy of the Decree Absolute or Certificate of Divorce or Annullment from the jurisdiction where the divorce was granted sealed by the court. If the divorce is in another language, include a certified translation.
  • A statement of Sole Responsibility for each divorcee, signed by both applicants (blank affidavits are available from the City Clerks Office).
  • A legal opinion of an Ontario lawyer, addressed to both applicants, giving reasons as to why the divorce or annulment should be recognized by the Province of Ontario.

We recommend you appear in person at the Clerks Department to request these forms and obtain additional information.

Widow or Widower

If either party to the marriage license application is a widow or widower they are not required to produce a death certificate to obtain a marriage license.

Publication of Banns

A marriage may be solemnized under the authority of the publication of banns where both parties to the proposed marriage worship regularly at their own Church in Canada.

No one may marry under the authority of the publication of banns if there was a previous marriage (dissolved or annulled). Further information concerning marriage under the authority of the publication of banns may be obtained from member of the clergy.

Hours of Operation for Marriage Licence Issuing

Monday to Friday, 8:45 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. (except statutory and other holidays)
No appointment is required.

Contact Information:

City Hall - Service Burlington Counter
426 Brant Street
Burlington, ON

Vital Statistics Inquiries Inquiries - 905 335-7803
Automated Information Line - 905 335-7836

Office of the Registrar General
P. O. Box 4600
189 Red River Road
Toll Free in Ontario: 1-800-461-2156
Toronto and outside Ontario 416-325-8305

[Top] [Printer-Friendly Page]