Trails & Bikeways
Bike, Walk or Roll!
Burlington has an extensive multi-use pathway and bikeway system that consists of on- and off-road leisure opportunities for cyclists, in-line skaters, walkers and other non-motorized recreational pursuits. For more information about these paths and bikeways call (905) 335-7600 x7488.
Burlington Green Guide
Cycling on Sidewalks
Cycling is permitted on sidewalks on most streets in Burlington. It is the responsibility of the cyclist to give way to all other sidewalk users. You must sound your approach and ride safely at all times. Bikes are not allowed on the sidewalks on Brant Street from Caroline to the lake due to the increased pedestrian traffic downtown. For questions on cycling on sidewalks call (905) 335-7600 ext. 7847.
Bicycle Etiquette & Safety Tips for Cyclists
How to Ride in Traffic:
- Obey traffic signs and signals
- Use hand signals
- Keep bike in good repair
- Use lights at night
- Follow lane markings
- Choose the best way to turn left
- Don't pass on the right
- Never ride against traffic
- Use pack or rack for belongings
- Make eye contact with drivers
- Lock your bike
- Pass other cyclists on the left after alerting them with a bell or horn
- Ride with caution
- Travel at speed safe for conditions
- Be polite, stay to the right!