How does the City’s Budget Impact your Taxes?
The City of Burlington collects property taxes on behalf of both the regional government and the school boards. Almost all of the taxes collected go to the operating budget (about 90%). The rest go to the capital budget (about 10%).
City share to pay for municipal services like:
- Recreation centres
- Fire services
- Public transit
- Snow removal.
Halton Region share to pay for regional services like:
- public health and ambulance services
- waste management
The Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) conducts property reassessments every four years.
Increased assessments are phased in over the four years for all property types.
Decreased assessments are effective immediately.