Burlington Transit has launched the PRESTO smart card in Burlington. The convenient way to travel using multiple transit systems across the Greater Toronto/Hamilton Area (GTHA).
All new PRESTO cards are recognized at the Adult fare category. In order to be recognized as a Senior, Student or Child fare category passenger, these are the steps required:
1. Obtain a PRESTO fare card either on-line through www.prestocard.ca or at a PRESTO customer service counter. In Burlington, PRESTO customer service counters are located at: the Downtown Transit Terminal (430 John St.) and Aldershot, Burlington and Appleby GO stations. NOTE: When you obtain a new PRESTO card, there is a $10 minimum load requirement. This automatically gives you $10 in fare revenue to use. If you wish to load extra value to your PRESTO card, you may do so at any time. If you already have a PRESTO card and have been using it at the Adult fare, you may proceed to the next step.
2. Register your card on-line at www.prestocard.ca. If you obtain a card at a PRESTO customer service counter, wait 24 hours prior to registering your card on-line. (NOTE: 24 hours after you register your PRESTO card on-line – you must tap-on to any PRESTO device* within a 6 day period to complete the registration.) If you have already registered a PRESTO card as an Adult rider, you may proceed to the next step.
*PRESTO devices include: balance checkers, fare payment devices or at PRESTO customer service counters.
3. IMPORTANT: You must add your Senior, Student or Child PRESTO concession at a PRESTO customer service counter in order for the system to recognize your PRESTO card at the appropriate fare category.
You're ready to start using your Senior, Student or Child PRESTO farecard. Welcome Aboard!
Burlington PRESTO fare information can be found on our PRESTO FAQ's page item #6.
You Can Use your PRESTO card to pay for companions travelling with you:
PRESTO card holders can use their PRESTO card to pay for any companions travelling with them. In Burlington, companions will be charged the Adult PRESTO rate of $2.50. You must tell the operator if you would like to include payment on your PRESTO card for any additional passengers. The operator will key the additional fare on to your PRESTO card. For information on companion travel with your PRESTO card on other transit service providers, please refer to their websites.
Using PRESTO on inter-connecting transit systems:
Burlington Transit riders are able to use their PRESTO card on Oakville Transit, Hamilton Street Railway (HSR) as well as GO Transit.
The Downtown Transit Terminal (430 John St.) is a PRESTO service agent. Here you can:
- Purchase a PRESTO card
- Load value (e-purse) onto your PRESTO card
- Check your balance and transaction history
"Registered" card holders can also: (see www.prestocard.ca for complete details on registering your PRESTO card):
- "Hotlist" a card in case it is lost or stolen
- Unblock a card in the event that it has been found (proof of name & address will be required.)
- Settle overdraft balance and fees
- Change their autoload threshold and load amounts
To contact a BT Customer Service Representative, call BusLINE 905-639-0550 during Transit Terminal Operating Hours.