Welcome to the Heritage Workshop Webpage
As a result of discussion following the April 2010 heritage workshop, Burlington City Council directed city staff to hold a two-part heritage workshop.
Community Heritage Workshop
The purpose of the community heritage workshop is to engage Burlington residents in a productive, two-way discussion that seeks to achieve:
- An understanding of participants points of view
- Identification of common ground
- Input into policy options for council consideration
The aim of the workshop is to inspire and cultivate open and meaningful conversation about heritage. This will lead to informed decision-making that positively influences future heritage policies and procedures in Burlington.
Based on the community input provided at the workshop, a report with a summary of results will be presented to the city’s Community Development Committee.
Dialogue Partners, a neutral third-party facilitator conducted the community heritage workshop on Nov. 19, 2011. Dialogue Partners also conducted a series of interviews with community members and groups in advance of the workshop during the month of October. An online survey was also made available for community input leading up to the workshop date.
COMMUNITY HERITAGE WORKSHOP DETAILS
Held on: Saturday, Nov. 19, 2011
Time: 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. (Registration starts at 9:30 a.m., workshop starts 10 a.m. sharp)
Place: Mainway Arena – 4015 Mainway (Walker’s Line and Mainway), Auditorium
Participant Heritage Workshop Agenda (PDF)
If you have any questions relating the workshop or interview/survey processes, please contact Tannis Topolnisky from Dialogue Partners at 1-866-269-1276, ext. 111 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions and Answers
Documents and Reports
- State of Heritage Conservation Post-Workshop Report
- What You Said Report from Nov. 19 Heritage Workshop
- What You Said Report
- Understanding the Issues of Heritage Conservation
- Heritage Workshop Part I Presentation
- City of Burlington Official Plan Heritage Policies
- The Ontario Heritage Act
- Ontario Regulation 9/06 - Criteria for Determining Cultural Heritage Value or Interest
- Provincial Policy Statement, PPS 2005
- Halton Region Official Plan Heritage Policies
- Standards and Guidelines for Conservation of Historic Places in Canada
- Property Standards By-law
- Heritage-Based Urban Design Guidelines for Downtown Burlington
- Urban Design Guidelines for Low Density Residential Zones and North Altershot
- City of Burlington Heritage Conservation Planning
- Heritage Burlington
- Burlington Historical Society
- Museums Burlington
Heritage and Development Planner
Planning & Building Department
City of Burlington
Tel: 905-335-7600, ext. 7555