• Text Size:  A   A   A | 
  • Follow us on:
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
  • YouTube
  • RSS Feed | 

Fireplaces and Woodstoves

Fireplace FireThinking of using your woodburning stove or fireplace to offset the high cost of heating?

The high cost of heating homes has prompted many people to consider alternate heating methods such as woodburning appliances that haven't been used in years. Using appliances that have not been properly inspected or cleaned can lead to serious fires or carbon monoxide dangers in your home.

  • Any wood burning appliance or device should be thoroughly inspected and cleaned at least once a year by a Wood Energy Technology Transfer  (W.E.T.T.) certified technician, even if it is only used a couple of times a year. Appliances used on a continuous basis may require more frequent inspection depending on the materials burned.
  • Do not use an appliance that has been unused for extended periods until a complete inspection has been conducted by a W.E.T.T. certified technician. This inspection should include all components including the inside and outside of the chimney and firebox.  Age, weather, and animals can cause serious damage to these components.
  • If you are considering installing a new woodburning appliance be sure to obtain a building permit and have the installation inspected prior to use.
  • Only burn quality, seasoned, firewood. Never burn garbage or papers in the appliance.
  • Keep combustible material away from the appliance while it is in use.

For more information, contact Fire Prevention at 905-637-9536 or send an email to firedepartment@burlington.ca.

[Top] [Printer-Friendly Page]