Signs And Markings
The Sign and Markings family of activities results in two visibly distinct services
1. Sign Manufacturing, Installation and Maintenance
The Roads and Parks Maintenance Department has an in-house for facility for the manufacturing of all signs. Signs are made with quality material and conform to provincial specifications at a competitive cost.
Signs and banners are available for public and commercial sale at the Civic Operations Centre. If you have an idea of what you would like and even if you do not the staff at Roads and Parks Maintenance can help you.
For information and inquiries regarding sign and banner sales please call 905-333-6166.
Maintenance and installation involves the placing and replacement of roadway signs, barricades and guide posts for the purpose of:
- Relaying messages to the motoring public and pedestrians
- Warning of hazards, legal restrictions and dangerous conditions
- Providing directions and information
- Serving as a guide to vehicular and pedestrian traffic
- Ensuring signs are legible and visible
Signs are checked once a year and replaced every ten years if required.
2. Lane Line Marking & Special Marking
Lane Line Marking is the mechanical application of line marking on COB maintained roads.
Special Marking is the application of paint to the road surface to indicate stop bars, turning arrows, school crossings, crosswalks, and railway crossings.
This function is carried out for the following purposes:
- Promote safety on the roadway
- To supplement the regulations or warnings of the other traffic devices such as traffic signals or signs
- Guide the movement of vehicular and pedestrian traffic
- To convey information to motorists and pedestrians in clear understandable terms without diverting drivers or pedestrians attention from the roadway
This activity occurs at night from June to October all over the City.
To avoid any unfortunate incidents such as having your car sprayed with paint please stay back 50 metres from the applicators and their equipment.
For more information on any of these activities please contact 905-333-6166.