Submitting a Claim Against the City of Burlington

Filing a Claim


If you have suffered a loss for which you believe the City may be responsible, you can file a claim against the City. To do so, you must follow the process outlined below in order for the City to consider your claim. In situations involving disrepair of a City road or sidewalk, you will be required to provide notice to the City within 10 days of the incident.

In accordance with the City’s Council approved Insurance Claims Protocol, payment of your claim will only be made if the City has been found legally liable. Liability refers to responsibility or negligence assessed against the City if the City has failed to meet the appropriate standard of care which resulted in your loss.

Although the City recognizes that suffering a loss can be upsetting, it is important to know that the City is not your insurer. In that regard, if you have an automobile or property insurance policy, we suggest that you report the incident to your insurance company or broker right away. By getting your insurance company involved immediately, you will be in a better position as the policy will protect your interests should you submit a claim to your insurance company. Should your insurance company believe the City is responsible for the loss, the insurer may seek compensation against the City on your behalf.

Claims Process

Prepare your notice of claim in writing and ensure it contains the information below:

  • Your name, mailing address, e-mail address and telephone number;
  • A complete description of when and where the incident took place;
  • A complete description of what happened including photographs, motor vehicle accident reports and/or records prepared by public authorities;
  • If the incident involved a City contractor or within a construction area, the name of the Contractor;
  • The names and contact information of any witnesses;
  • A complete description of your claim for damages including all documentation to support or substantiate your claim such as receipts and estimates; and
  • If you have reported the incident to your insurance company, the name and contact information of the insurance adjuster assigned to your insurance claim.

Where to send your notice of Claim

The City accepts notices of claims by personally delivering your claim letter to the City Hall, regular mail, fax or alternatively via the on-line claim submission form.

Personal delivery, regular mail or fax:

The Corporation of the City of Burlington
City Clerk
426 Brant Street, P.O. Box 5013
Burlington, Ontario
L2R 3Z6
Fax: 905 335-7675

On-Line Claim Submission Form

Click here to complete the on-line claim submission form.  Upon completion of the form, you will receive an automatic acknowledgement of your claim.

Response Times and the Involvement of the City’s Independent Insurance Adjuster

Upon receipt of your claim, the City will acknowledge your claim within 3 business days. All claims received by the City are sent to an independent insurance adjusting firm in order for the adjuster to conduct an investigation into the facts and circumstances of your incident and to determine whether the City is legally liable for your claim for damages.  A representative of the adjusting firm will contact you within 6 business days of the City receiving your notice of claim.  You can expect to receive a letter from the adjuster setting out the adjuster’s assessment of liability within 20 business days.   Please note that the response time may vary depending upon the complexity of your claim and the availability of information.

For claims involving roads that are within the jurisdiction of Halton Region, please Dial 311 or 905-825-6000 Toll Free 1-866-442-5866 (1-866-4HALTON) or visit their website at

For claims involving roads within the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Transportation (MTO), please contact the MTO Risk Management Department at (416) 314-5530.

Should you have any questions about your claim, please contact the Administrative Assistant at 905-335-7600 X 7582 or via e-mail at

Personal information contained on this form is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, 2001, S.O. 2001, c. 25 and will be used for the purposes of receiving, assessing and responding to claims submitted to the City.  Questions about this collection should be directed to the Insurance & Risk Management Officer, Finance Department, 426 Brant Street, P.O. Box 5013, Burlington, Ontario, L7R 3Z6 (Telephone: 905-335-7600 X 7645).

[Top] [Printer-Friendly Page]